Monday, December 31, 2007

Will I ever be a weaver?

I am having a great time with my new rigid heddle loom. But what a lot to learn! I took a few weaving books out of the library just to familiarize myself with some of the terms. I think it will be really good for me to crack open the rusty old brain and try to gain some new skills.

In the meantime, however, this is some pretty sorry-looking weaving --

Selvedges are clearly not my friends.

I am taking the occasional break from weaving to take comfort with my old friend knitting. Since Christmas, I've made myself a pair of felted mittens to match my daughter's. So quick! So warm! So easy!

And I've begun the Ice Queen from Knitty -- I'm using a warm red Kidsilk Haze and some size 8 beads in almost a matching color. They add a little sparkle without being too glitzy.

Tomorrow, we take a break from all things fiber for our traditional New Year's Eve celebration. Karen and David will be coming over for an hours-long, multi-course dinner of wild mushroom crostini, consomme, shrimp salad with lime-ginger dressing, (the wonderful palate-cleansing citrus sorbet with its generous helping of tequila), beef wellington, grilled asparagus and lemon sponge pudding with raspberry sauce. I shall obviously be spending time cooking tomorrow -- and enjoying every minute of it. This is our favorite way of ringing in the New Year -- friends, family and good food. (And champagne!)

Wishing all of you a wonderful 2008!

Peace.

No comments: