Friday, April 11, 2008

I got to hold the sock!


Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, the Yarn Harlot, was in Ann Arbor today for a 7 p.m. talk. My sister-in-law and I got to the public library a little before 3 p.m. There was one other person there -- and a couple of others had gone to get lunch.

We scored front row seats and settled in to knit. Or, in Kathy's case, crochet.

By 4, it was a little more crowded. Everyone was exchanging Ravelry names, and Lisabai had thought to bring name tags so that we could all identify our ravatars.

Brenda brought the largest knitting needles I have ever seen -- the ends were like crutch tips.

I can't help but wonder how achy my shoulders would be if I actually tried knitting with those -- but look how much she's gotten done.
And is anyone else thinking, "Wonder what airport security made of those?"

By 5:30, they were sending people upstairs to the overflow room.


Stephanie was great -- she was witty and entertaining, and has great comic timing. We all left feeling vindicated in our belief that, really, knitters will take over the world. We may be the only ones with the brain waves to do it. (Go hear her talk, read the book.)

There was a huge line to have books signed, and Stephanie was warm and gracious to all of us.
I got to hold the sock!


Afterward, we went to Busy Hands --everything in the store was 20% off; how could we resist? I managed to get away with nothing more than a skein of Lopi Grignasco silk/merino laceweight. I'm going to use it for Sivia Harding's Shetland Garden stole.


This sums it up --

1 comment:

Carina said...

I'm so jealous! Though, I'm not sure if I'm more jealous that you got to hold the sock or that you bought Grignasco laceweight (that stuff is gorgeous!). ;)

I couldn't go. :(